Potato, Sausage, and Spinach Breakfast Casserole
- Savory breakfast torte with hashbrown potato crust.
- Sandi L.
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 12 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter, divided
- 12 oz (336 grm). fresh breakfast links
- 2 cups (475 ml) sliced leeks, white and pale green parts only
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). russet potatoes, peeled, shredded, lightly squeezed
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) swiss or gruyere cheese, grated (4 oz (112 grm).)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Parmesan cheese (1-1/2 oz (42 grm).)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Whisk eggs,milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
- Melt 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter in a 12-inch cast iron or non-stick oven-proof skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausages and cook, turning until brown all over--about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add leeks to skillet; cook until wilted about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Melt 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter in same skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes spreading out in a even layer.
- Cook without stirring until bottom edges are crisp and golden brown--about 10 minutes.
- Invert potato pancake onto a large plate/platter and slide back into skillet brown side up.
- Cook until bottom is golden brown--about 10 minutes.
- Arrange sausages in a spoke pattern on potatoes.
- Scatter spinach and leek mixture over pancake.
- Pour in the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle both cheeses over the top.
- Bake until casserole is puffed and golden brown--35-40 minutes.
- Slide onto a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley,
- Serve warm or at room temperature cut into wedges.
- Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, Nov. 2011.
Sausage may be eliminated for a vegetarian dish.
Ground sausage or turkey sausage may be substituted and sausage used may be chopped or sliced before adding to the casserole.