- Pork and Steel Cut Oat Sausage
- Scott Felde
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) pork shoulder(with fat)
- 2 EA onions
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg) steel cut oats
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) and 1 tsp (5 ml) thyme (rounded)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) and 1 tsp (5 ml) sage (rounded)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cloves (rounded)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) allspice (rounded)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) ground black pepper (rounded)
- Boil pork shoulder and onions until well done.
- Remove pork and onions from water(keep water);let pork cool.
- Grind pork and onions with a coarse meat grinder.
- Boil the steel cut oats in the water you cooked the pork in for 15 minutes.
- Put ground pork back into water and add spices. Cook or steam until well blended and thickened(add water if necessary).
- Place in bowl refrigerate.
- To serve make slice of bread sized servings (slightly thicker). Place in fry pan with butter and fry till both sides have a crispy crust.
For more information look up Knipp on Wikipedia.