Chicken Stew Moroccan Style
- Savory Crockpot chicken stew
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 butternut or other winter squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 fresh tomatoes, cubed or 1 14 oz (392 grm). can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can chick peas/garbanzos, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (225 ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins
- 2 tsp (10 ml) coriander
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt (opt.)
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne (or more to taste)
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). bone in, skinless chicken thighs and/or breasts
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) black olives, halved and pitted
- Combine squash, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chickpeas, broth and raisins in a large slow cooker.
- In a small bowl. stir together the spices.
- Rub the chicken pieces with the spice mixture and place in a single layer on top of other items in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Stir in olives and serve over couscous, pasta, or polenta.
- Slightly adapted from The 2013 Posh Squash Cookbook of The Sea Ranch, California. Info on the Community Garden and Cookbook at www.poshsquash.org