Puerto Rican Shredded Pork
- Citrus marinated version of carnitas
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). or larger boneless sirloin pork roast
- 1 head of garlic cloves, skins removed and sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) coarse salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- 4 oranges, juiced or
- 1 cup (225 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 limes juiced
- 1 or more(!) jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
- Poke holes in pork with sharp knife and stuff with 1/2 the sliced garlic.
- Warm oil in large skilled over medium-high heat.
- Add pork and brown on all sides, 6 - 8 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in blender and blend 3 - 5 seconds until evenly combined.
- Place pork in slow cooker.
- Pour liquid mixture over pork and let marinate about 10 minutes on each side (or longer).
- Turn slow cooker on and set timer for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove pork and shred with two forks on a large cutting board.
- Skim fat from broth in pot.
- Return pork to slow cooker and continue to cook uncovered to reduce liquid.
- Serve pork in lettuce wraps or in warm corn tortillas.
- Top with pico de gallo, chopped cilantro and avocado or any other toppings of your choice.
- Slightly adapted from the National Pork Board, 2013. Recipes found at PorkBeInspired.com
Use boneless or bone in pork shoulder. Larger roast and more garlic works well with other ingredients. The more marinade absorbed the brighter the flavor.