- 8 slices bacon, sliced 1/4 inch
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, medium dice
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut in medium dice
- 1 large carrot, small dice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 51 oz (1428 grm). can chopped clams, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 pt. (or more) clam broth or chicken broth
- 1 qt. half and half or cream
- fresh ground pepper
- Place bacon in bottom and soup pot and cook until most of fat is rendered--do not drain.
- Add onion, celery and garlic and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cover these with clam liquid, and additional clam broth and/or chicken broth.
- Boil until potatoes are tender.
- Add thyme leaves and half and half or cream and simmer until ready to serve.
- Add fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Bodega Bay Superbowl Weekend 2017
Salt shouldn't be necessary because of sodium in bacon, clams and broth.
Option: Add 1 8 oz.to 16 oz. container refrigerated crab meat and kernels cut from one or more ears of corn about 7 to 10 minutes before serving. Add more broth and cream as needed.