- Yolanda M.
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 3 quarts (2850 ml) chicken broth or stock or more
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 package chorizo oz (336 grm). to 16 oz (448 grm).**
- small amount of cooking oil
- 1 cup (225 ml) carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, medium dice
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cumin (or to taste)
- Serving suggestion:
- 1 or more sliced or chopped avocados
- In large soup pot, bring chicken broth to a boil and add lentils. Maintain at a low boil as ingredients are added.
- Prep all vegetables as stated above.
- In a 10 inch skillet, pour a small amount of cooking oil and heat.
- Add chorizo as described below stirring occasionally.
- When chorizo is thoroughly warmed, stir chorizo and oils into lentils and broth.
- Add onion, tomatoes, garlic and celery and maintain low boil.
- Add additional broth or water as needed.
- Add potatoes and carrots and continue boiling.
- Season with cumin.
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Continue to boil 15 minutes or until lentils, potatoes, and carrots are tender.
- Serve with fresh sliced or chopped avocado.
Use Mexican or Spanish style for soups that are different but equally good. Quarter and slice Spanish style before heating in oil. For Mexican style (soft) chorizo cut off the end of the plastic casing and squeeze chorizo in to heated oil chopping with spatula as you would ground beef. adding in the used cooking oil increases the flavor of the soup.