Print Friendly Recipe
- Amador Foothill Winery
- 2 oz (56 grm). Zinfandel
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh sage, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) black peppercorns, crushed
- 4 oz (112 grm). olive oil
- 6 game hens
- salt, as needed
- sage sprigs
- Place wine, garlic, sage and mustard in a bowl and mix with whisk.
- Add oil slowly, in a steady stream, while whisking. The wine and the oil will emulsify and thicken.
- Cut the game hens along the backbone. Spread them out and flatten by giving each a hard swat on the breastbone near the neck.
- Pour marinade mixture over and marinate for 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator. Reserve marinade.
- To cook, grill over hot coals.
- Turn frequently to avoid burning.
- After the first turn, salt to taste.
- Heat the marinade.
- When done, place on serving plates and brush generously with the heated marinade.
- Garnish with sage sprigs.
- Serve with roasted new potatos and barbecued corn.
- Provided to us on a wine tasting tour in El
Dorado County, at the Amador Foothill Winery,
Copyright ©1997-2020 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.