Print Friendly Recipe
- Germaine's Restaurant, Washington, DC
- Summer Rolls:
- 12 sheets of rice-paper pancakes
- 24 large shrimp, boiled for 3 minutes, peeled and deveined, and halved lengthwise
- Fresh leaves of cilantro, basil, and mint
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, washed, drained, and dried
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg) rice vermicelli, soaked in warm water to soften
- 1 bunch Chines chives
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg) fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg) lean pork, boiled 10 minutes and thinly sliced (optional)
- 6 shrimp extra if not using pork
- Bean Sauce:
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 finely chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) smooth peanut butter
- 10 tbsp (150 ml) hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) soy sauce
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) chopped roasted peanuts
- 2 fresh Thai red chilies or jalapeno chilies, finely chopped
- Spring Rolls:
- Lay a kitchen towl on a counter or workspace.
- Dip each rice paper pancake in warm water and arrange side by side on towel.
- Wait a few seconds for them to soften.
- Arrange four slices of shrimp in the middle of each rice paper.
- Top each with a leaf of each herb, some lettuce, one tbsp of the softened vermicelli, some chives, some bean sprouts, and a slice of cooked pork (if not using pork, add more shrimp)
- Fold in both ends, then roll up like an egg roll.
- Bean Sauce:
- Heat oil in a small sauce pan.
- Add the shallots, garlic, peanut butter, hoisin and soy sauces, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, just until the mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with peanuts and chilies.
|Email This To A Friend