Print Friendly Recipe
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) to 3/4 cup (175 ml) Matzoh Meal (or 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour - not as good)
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) rendered chicken fat (drippings from roasted chicken)
- 1 medium onion
- You can get chicken fat in jar in Kosher section of food market or when you clean a chicken pull the fat that is just inside the skin and fry it with a chopped onion in it for flavor.
- Measure out 2 Tbs (30 ml) of fat and place in blender with 2 eggs.
- Cut potatoes into cubes (skin and all) and soak in cold water so they will not brown.
- Clean and cut onion into pieces about the size of the potatoes and place in water with potatoes.
- Turn on blender and through hole in top of blender cover place potatoes and onions (with water that is sticking to them) a small amount at a time.
- Let blender chop but not puree.
- Keep adding potatoes and onions until you have placed all in the blender. As soon as you have added all the potatoes and onions and while there are still small lumps (like cottage cheese) stop blender.
- Stir in the matzoh meal and mix thorougly with a spoon and poor into a greased 13 inch by 9 inch chicken-fat greased pyrex dish and bake in 325 degree (175 C.) oven for about 40 minutes or until mixture is brown on top.
- Let set for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into serving portions and serve with a side of either natural chicken or pot roast gravy.
- Eastern Europe - Yiddish cooking
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.