Print Friendly Recipe
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) hazelnuts (filberts) (2.5 ounces)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) (1/2 stick) plus 5 tbsp (70 ml) melted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fine dry bread crumbs
- 4 cooking apples (your choice)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) golden raisins
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar plus extra for sprinkling on strudels
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 12 sheets (17 inch X 12-inch) phyllo dough, thawed according to package directions
- softly whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Place hazelnuts in a shallow pan and toast for 8 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. Transfer the nuts to a tea towel and rub off and discard the skins. Cool slightly and process in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter in a small skillet.
- Add hazelnuts and bread crumbs and saute' for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine apples, apricots, raisins, sugar, brown sugar, lemon peel, and lemon juice in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Place the phyllo sheets between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and cover with a damp tea towel. Carefully transfer 2 sheets to an 18 inch piece of plastic wrap.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with 1/6 of crumb mixture.
- Add 2 more sheets, brush with butter, and sprinkle with crumbs.
- Repeat to make a 6 sheet pile.
- Arrange half the apple mixture in a row along the short side of the phyllo, starting about 3 inches in from the edge.
- Using the plastic wrap to start, roll up the phyllo around the filling.
- Transfer to a large greased baking sheet.
- Repeat to make a second strudel.
- Brush the strudels with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and apples are tender.
- Cool on the pan 10 minutes.
- Cut with a serrated knife and serve warm.
- Garnish with softly whipped cream on the side, if desire.
- NOTE: The strudels can be held for one day at room temperature, loosely covered. Reheat, covered loosely with foil, at 400 degrees (200 C.) for 15 minutes.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.