Print Friendly Recipe
- Dana Bullard
- 2 cups (475 ml) frozen blanched butterbeans
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) bacon grease (oil will work, but bacon grease adds more taste)
- Salt to taste
- Place all in ingredients in a pot.
- Bring beans to a boil then reduce heat to medium high.
- Cook beans for about one hour or until tender.
- I don't know if I would call this a recipe
exactly. It is just how I've learned to cook
butter beans. And since I'm from the South I
guess this would be considered southern
butterbeans. First you need to pick the
butterbeans, hull them, and then blanch them. To
blanch, you boil the beans until it just becomes
easy to pop them out of the skin. Then place
them in cold water and repeat until beans are
cooled. You can now freeze them (about 2 cups
per bag) for a year.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.