Print Friendly Recipe
- Exotic variation of fried rice.
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry sherry
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Chinese chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated orange peel
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) brown rice, wild rice, red rice, or a multigrain rice mix
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) dried currants
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped cilantro (fresh coriander) or fresh basil
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) pecan halves
- In a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients.
- In a 2-1/2 qt. saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in butter until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the currants to the sauce and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- If necessary, add a little water or broth toward the end of the cooking if the rice seems about to scorch.
- At this point, you may proceed or refrigerate.
- Reheat the rice in a 325 degree (175 C.) oven for 20 minutes, or in the microwave oven for a few minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and pecans.
- Serve at once.
- A fun recipe derived from the Chopstix cookbook.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.