Print Friendly Recipe
- Spring Roll Appetizer
Serves/Makes:6 or more as hot appetizer
- 20 6-inch round or triangular rice papers
- 2 12 oz (336 grm) bottles of beer (one for the cook)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (950 ml) peanut oil
- 20 small bib lettuce leaves
- 40 sprigs fresh corriander (cilantro optional)
- 40 fresh mint leaves
- 1 oz (28 grm) bean thread noodles (cellophane noodles)
- 5 dried black Chinese mushrooms
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg) raw shrimp
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded or minced carrots
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg) ground pork
- 3 shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbs (30 ml) dry sherry
- 1 tbs (15 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 tbs (15 ml) oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) sugar
- Spring rolls may be made in morning and refrigerated for cooking in the evening. They may also be reheated in hot oil or warmed in medium oven for 1 hour.
- Soak bean threads in hot water until softened (30 minutes) then drain and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Soak mushrooms in hot water until softened (20 minutes). Discard stems and mince caps.
- Shell and devein shrimp then chop.
- Place bean threads, mushrooms and shrimp in bowl.
- Add remaining filling ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Dip a sheet of rice paper in beer to moisten, then shake off excess beer.
- Place on flat surface and wait a few moments until paper is very pliable (sprinkle spots that resist softening with beer.)
- Shape 2 tbs (30 ml) of of filling into cylinder and place on bottom third of round paper or triangle.
- Moisten edges of paper with beaten egg, fold over ends and roll into cylinder.
- Continue to form rolls with remaining papers and place rolls in single layer on tray (cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook.)
- Last minute cooking:
- Heat oil in 12 inch pan or wok to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Place all (as many as possible) rolls in pan (they can touch).
- Cook for about 8 minutes or until skins are golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with dipping sauces, coriander, mint, and lettuce leaves (see Thai Dipping Sauce.)
- Hold lettuce leaf and add mint, corriander and hot spring roll.
- Wrap "package" in lettuce leaf, dip and enjoy.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.