Print Friendly Recipe
- Tom King
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- dash cayenne
- dash paprika
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) milk
- 2 cups (475 ml) (1/2 lb (.2 kg).) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In large bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature - about 1 hour.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan; remove from heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, cayenne, and paprika until smooth.
- Stir in milk.
- Over medium heat, bring to boiling point, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese; stir until it melts, then remove from heat.
- Let mixture cool. Stir into slightly beaten egg yolks.
- With mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar just until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
- With wire whisk or rubber spatula, using an under-and-over motion, gently fold cooled cheese mixture into egg whites.
- Turn into ungreased 1-1/2 quarts (1425 ml) straight-side souffle dish.
- Make top hat: with back of large spoon, make a deep path around souffle top, about 1 inch from edge.
- Set dish in pan containing about 1 inch hot water; bake 50 to 55 minutes.
- Serve at once.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.