Print Friendly Recipe
- Sue Bates
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 oz (168 grm).) butter or margarine
- 3 Cups (700 ml) flour
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 1/2 cakes yeast (about 3 tsp (15 ml) dry yeast)
- 1/2 Cup (125 ml) Milk
- For Filling:
- 2/3 Cup (150 ml) Milk
- 2 Cups (475 ml) Sugar
- 2 Cups (475 ml) Ground Walnuts
- 1 lemon peel, grated
- Dissolve yeast with sugar in lukewarm milk.
- On a floured surface, crumble butter together with flour then work in the rest of the ingredients and dissolved yeast.
- If dough is too hard, add a little more milk.
- Knead until dough does not stick to fingers or surface.
- Divide in two and let rise in warm place for 45 minutes to an hour. Each ball will make one roll.
- Roll one ball out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick and fill with filling.
- Repeat with second ball.
- To fill:
- Mix nuts and sugar in a bowl.
- Sprinkle dough with milk.
- Spread nut mixture evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle with grated lemon peel and a few raisins (optional) and roll up.
- Brush tops with egg yolks and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cover with dish towel after romoving from pan.
- This was taken from a 1973 Austro-Hungarian Cookbook by Gitta Dano.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.