Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:10 to 12 servings
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp (5 ml). instant coffee crystals
- 1 cup (225 ml) boiling water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml) Kahlua, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shortening
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla
- 2 cups (475 ml) shifted all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). baking powder
- Kahlua Fudge Frosting:
- 1 6 oz (168 grm) package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) kahlua
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) half and half
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Line 2 9 inch round pans with parchment paper and lightly grease sides of pans.
- In one small heatproof bowl, blend cocoa, coffee, and water.
- Stir in 1/2 cup (125 ml) Kahlua and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- In another small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Alternately add flour mixture and cocoa mixture to butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Divide batter evenly in pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, just until a wooden toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE
- Cool on wire racks 5 minutes.
- Loosen edges, remove from pans.
- Peel off parchment paper and cool cakes completely on wire racks.
- Brush bottom of each layer with 1 tbsp (15 ml) Kahlua.
- Fill and frost with Kahlua fudge frosting.
- Let stand until frosting is set.
- Kahlua Fudge Frosting:
- Combine chocolate, butter, Kahlua and half and half in medium saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until chocolate melts.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend in powdered sugar.
- Beat until frosting is cool and of spreading consistency.
- (Pan may be placed over ice water to hasten cooling)
- From Treasury of Desserts
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.