Print Friendly Recipe
- Sandra Phipps- "LIKE GRANDMA USED TO MAKE" Reader's Digest
- 8 oz (224 grm). peeled, deveined, fresh or frozen and thawed large shrimp
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size sweet red or green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (475 ml) fresh or frozen and thawed okra pods, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml). dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground red pepper(cayenne)
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage or andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 ounces lump crab meat, picked over and flaked, or 1 package(6 ounces) frozen crab meat
- 12 pint shucked oysters, undrained
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry; refrigerate.
- For roux, in a heavy Dutch oven, stir together flour and oil until smooth.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes or until roux is dark brown.
- Add onion, sweet red pepper, and garlic.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or just until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Gradually stirin broth. Stir in okra, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and ground red pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the sausage, simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, crab, and oysters. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes or just until the shrimp and crab turn opaque.
- Discard bay leaves. Spoon off fat.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and hot red pepper sauce.
- Prep time: 25 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour
|Email This To A Friend