Print Friendly Recipe
- 5 quarts (4725 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 bunch celery, cut into small pieces
- 2 bunches of green onions, cut up
- 2 large green peppers, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into small pieces
- 1 lb (.5 kg). crabs or crab fingers
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh oysters (optional)
- 3 to 5 lbs (2.3 kg). fresh shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). Worcestershire sauce
- Creole seasoning to taste (Tony Chachere's is used in the South and used heavily)
- gumbo file
- To make roux, heat oil slightly in a large stock pot.
- Add flour and blend with a wisk.
- Over medium heat, stir constantly until roux has reached the color "brown-black" (approximately 30 to 35 minutes).
- Do not let roux burn (black specks will appear).
- Adjust the heat as you cook the roux to prevent burning.
- When roux is desired color, add the chopped vegetables and stir.
- Add the water and Creole seasoning.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and lower to simmer and cook approximately 30 minutes.
- Prior to serving, add the seafood and serve when the seafood has cooked.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with gumbo file and additional Creole seasoning if desired.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.