Print Friendly Recipe
- A great old-fashion dish of chicken in a creamy sauce.
- Patty Johnson
- 1 5 lb (2.3 kg). chicken, cut in large pieces
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 ribs of celery with leaves, cut in pieces
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). lemon juice
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (225 ml) sliced mushrooms, optional
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry.
- Heat 4 tbsp (60 ml). of butter with the oil in a Dutch Oven.
- Brown the chicken on all sides.
- Lower heat.
- Pour boiling water to cover chicken.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a platter and keep warm.
- Strain the broth and remove any surface fat.
- Bring the broth to a boil and reduce to 1-1/2 cups (350 ml).
- Melt the remaining 4 tbsp (60 ml). of butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the cream and broth.
- Continue stirring and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes until thick and smooth.
- If using, add 1 cup (225 ml) of mushrooms sauteed in 2 Tbs (30 ml). butter to the sauce just before adding the lemon juice.
- Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon over the chicken and serve.
- This recipe is from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.