Print Friendly Recipe
- Mexican Beef Dish
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). beef stew meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water
- 1 can chopped green chilies
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 12 10-inch flour tortillas
- oil or fat for frying
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- sour cream
- pico de gallo or salsa, optional
- In medium saucepan combine all ingredients except tortillas.
- Bring to boiling.
- Cover; reduce heat and simmer about 2 hours or till meat is very tender.
- Uncover and boil rapidly about 15 minutes or until water has almost evaporated.
- Watch closely and stir near end of cooking time so meat doesn't stick.
- Remove from heat.
- Using 2 forks: shred meat very fine.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup (60 ml) meat mixture onto each tortilla, near one edge.
- Fold edge nearest filling up and over filling just till mixture is covered.
- Fold in the two sides envelope fashion, then roll up.
- Fasten with wooden pick, if needed.
- In heavy skillet or sauce pan fry filled tortillas in 1/2 inch hot fat about 1 minute on each side or till golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm in 300 degree (150 C.) oven while frying remaining chimis.
- Garnish with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, etc.
- This recipe takes some practice but it is worth all of the trouble.
I have made it and had requests for it for years. ENJOY!!!!
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.