Print Friendly Recipe
- Bon Appetit
Serves/Makes:6 1-cup servings
- 3 cups (700 ml) half and half
- 2 cups (475 ml) Bechamel Sauce(see following recipe)
- 1 can (10-1/2 oz (294 grm).) tomato soup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) clam juice
- 1 lb (.5 kg) crabmeat*
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) dry Sherry
- 6 7x7-inch squares puff pastry
- 1 egg
- *If using frozen crab, thaw completely.
- Rinse, drain and toss with 2 to 3 tbsp
- lemon juice before adding to soup.
- Bechamel Sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground white pepper
- Combine first 4 ingredients in heavy-bottomed medium sauce pan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until well blended.
- Add crab and heat through, stirring frequently.
- Cool, then cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Divide soup evenly among 6 deep 2-cup soup bowls 4 inches in diameter.
- Top each with 1 tbsp (15 ml) of Sherry.
- Transfer bowls to baking sheet and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Roll each square of pastry 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut out 6-inch circles and gently lay over tops of bowls, leaving 1-inch overhang.
- Seal by pressing firmly to sides of bowl(do not crimp to rim; pastry must be allowed to rise freely).
- Refrigerate until pastry is firm. Cover completely with plastic wrap. Chill overnight.
- About 30 minutes before serving, position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 400oF.
- Lightly beat egg and use to brush pastry for glaze.
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Bechamel Sauce
- Melt beutter in top of double boiler over boiling water.
- Stir in flour with wooden spoon until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking until sauce is thick and smooth.
- Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat and strain through fine sieve.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.