Print Friendly Recipe
- Carol Welte
- 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml) flour
- 2 pkgs. active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) warm water (110-115 F)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). sugar
- In mixing bowl combine 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) of flour & the yeast.
- Combine warm water, 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar, & salt.
- Pour over flour mixture.
- Beat with electric mixer 1/2 min., scraping bowl.
- Beat 3 min. at high speed.
- Stir in as much remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth & elastic.
- Cover; let rest 10 min.
- Cut into 12 portions.
- Shape ea. into smooth ball.
- Punch hole in center of each.
- Pull gently to make a 1 1/2" - 2" hole.
- Place on greased baking sheed.
- Cover; let rise 20 min.
- Broil 5" from heat 3-4 min., turning once (tops should not brown).
- Heat 1 gallon (3.8 ltr) water & 1 tbsp (15 ml). sugar to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cook 4 or 5 bagels at a time for 7 min., turning once.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degreees for 25-30 min.
- (Add onions, etc., to dough for a variation - or brush w/egg wash & sprinkle w/sesame seed
- before baking.)
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.