Print Friendly Recipe
- Hungarian beef dish
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). stew beef, cut into 2 inch squares
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) bacon or sausage drippings
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). all-purpose flour
- 1 beef boullion cube, dissolved in
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) water
- 1 tsp (5 ml). marjoram
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). caraway
- pinch brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). paprika
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 5 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red wine
- sour cream
- Fry beef in drippings until browned in a dutch oven.
- Add onions and garlic, cooking until onions are transparent.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in the boullion and water, then add the spices.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook gently 1 1/4 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetables.
- Cover and cook for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in wine.
- Serve with sour cream.
- A family favorite.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.