Print Friendly Recipe
- triflelike italian dessert
- Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook
Serves/Makes:Tiramisu: 12-16, Cake: 9
- 1 recipe Hot-Milk Sponge Cake
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) instant espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) rum
- 2 8-ounce containers mascarpone cheese or two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1 cup (225 ml) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coffee liqueur
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- Hot-Milk Sponge Cake Ingredients:
- 1 cup (225 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- Hot-Milk Sponge Cake:
- Grease and flour a 9 inch x 9 inch x 2 inch baking pan; set aside.
- Stir together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or till thick.
- Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes or till light and fluffy.
- Add the dry mixture; beat on low to medium speed just till combined.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir milk and butter till butter melts; add to batter, beating till combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan; remove cake from pan. Cool cake completely.
- In small saucepan combine granulated sugar, espresso powder or coffee crystals, and 1/3 cup (80 ml) water.
- Cook over medium heat to boiling.
- Boil for 1 minute; remove from heat and stir in rum. Cool completely.
- In a medium bowl stir together the mascarpone or cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Stir in the 2 ounces grated chocolate.
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers.
- Return a cake layer to the baking pan.
- Brush layer in pan with one-third of the syrup and spread with half of the filling.
- Repeat layering with the second cake layer, one-third syrup, and remaining filling.
- Top with the third cake layer; brush with remaining syrup.
- In a chilled bowl combine whipping cream and coffee liqueur.
- Beat with chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium speed till soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over top cake layer; sprinkle with the 1/2 grated chocolate.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.