Print Friendly Recipe
- Jean Cormier
- 2-1/2 pounds veal shanks - cut 1-1/2 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- flour for dredging
- olive oil for searing
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped onions
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped celery
- 1 cup (225 ml) white wine
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped tomatoes, with juices
- 3 cups (700 ml) brown stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 garlic cloves
- chopped parsley and lemon wedges for garnish
- Generously season the veal shanks on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Dredge lightly in flour; shake off excess.
- Heat 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Brown the shanks on both sides until golden; you may need to do this in batches.
- Remove all the shanks from the Dutch oven, and add the onions, carrots, and celery; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, thyme, and garlic.
- Place the seared shanks back into the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Adjust seasonings, and serve with chopped parsley and lemon. wedges.
- Exported from MasterCook. Recipe by Essence of Emeril Show
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.