Print Friendly Recipe
- Searchable Online Archive of Recipes Internet Site
- 1 cup (225 ml) warm water, 105 degrees to 115 degrees
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 3 cups (700 ml) or more bread flour
- Eggplant Mixture:
- 7 tbsp (100 ml) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg). eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pine nuts
- Final mixture:
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) fontina cheese, grated--about 5 oz (140 grm).
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) mozzarella cheese, grated--about 6 oz (168 grm).
- 1 3.5 oz (98 grm) log soft, mild goat cheese (e.g. Montrachet), crumbled
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly grated parmesan cheese--about 3/4 oz (21 grm).
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- fresh basil sprigs
- Place 1/4 cup (60 ml) warm water in bowl of heavy-duty mixer.
- Sprinkle yeast over the water and stir to dissolve.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 3/4 cup (175 ml) water, oil, salt, and then 3 cups (700 ml) of flour.
- Stir to combine.
- Attach dough hook to mixer and beat until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, about 2 minutes.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if sticky (about 10 minutes).
- Lightly oil large bowl.
- Add dough, turning to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm, draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Eggplant Mixture:
- Drain eggplant and pat dry.
- Combine minced garlic and olive oil.
- Heat half of garlic-oil mixture in large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add eggplant and saute until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Increase heat to high.
- Add vinegar and cook until almost no liquid remains in skillet, about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Assembly and Baking:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (225 C.) for 30 minutes.
- Mix cheeses together in bowl.
- Punch dough down.
- Divide into 4 pieces.
- Roll out 1 dough piece on lightly floured surface to 8-inch round.
- Brush dough with some of the garlic-oil mixture, leaving 1-inch border.
- 1/4 Spread of cheese mixture over half of dough, leaving 1-inch border.
- Cover cheese with 1/4 of eggplant mixture, 1/4 of bell pepper, and 1/4 of sliced basil leaves.
- Brush edges of dough with water.
- Fold dough in half, covering filling, but allowing bottom edge of dough to show.
- Fold bottom edge over top edge and crimp to seal.
- Repeat with remaining dough, garlic-oil mixture, cheese mixture, eggplant mixture, bell pepper and sliced basil leaves, forming a total of 4 calzones.
- Cover calzones and let stand 15 minutes.
- Using large metal spatula, transfer calzones to baking stone** or PREHEATED baking sheet (remove from oven just in time to do this).
- Bake until brown and crisp, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer calzones to platter.
- Garnish with basil sprigs and serve.
- **Baking stones and tiles are available at cookware stores and many department stores nationwide.
|Email This To A Friend