Print Friendly Recipe
- 1 pkg Yeast
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Warm water
- 6 tsp (30 ml) Milk, scalded and cooled
- 4 cups (950 ml) Flour (to 5 cups)
- 1/2 pound Butter
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) Sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Butter, melted
- Small plastic doll (or bean)
- Light corn syrup for topping
- Granulated sugar for topping
- Green, yellow, purple colored sugar granules
- Dissolve yeast in warm wataer.
- Add milk and about 1/2 cup (125 ml) of flour.
- In a large bowl, blend butter, sugar, salt and eggs.
- Add yeast dough and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually, add 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) flour to make a medium dough.
- Place in a greased bowl and brush with melted butter.
- Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise until double in volume, about 3 hours.
- Use 1 cup (225 ml) or more flour to knead dough.
- Roll into a 4 foot to 5 foot long rope.
- Form into a oval on a 14 inch x 17 inch greased cookie sheet, connecting the ends of the rope with a few drops of water.
- Press the doll (or bean) into the dough from underneath.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until double in volume, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 35 to 45 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Brush top of cake with corn syrup and sprinkle with alternating bands of colored sugar.
- Note: Cake freezes well.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.