Print Friendly Recipe
- Jean Hores Beef Pita, Greek Style
- MasterCook through Searchable Online Archive of Recipes Site
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml). salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). cinnamon
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) burgundy or rose wine
- 1 egg
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (225 ml) creamed cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, melted *
- 8 oz (224 grm). phyllo leaves **
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry bread crumbs
- parsley sprigs
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Combine ground beef, onion and garlic in a large frying pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until beef loses the pink color.
- Pour off drippings.
- Add mushrooms, bay leaf, salt, chili powder, cumin powder and cinnamon.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and wine.
- Cook, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Cool while preparing cheese filling.
- Combine egg and cream cheese in medium bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir in cottage and feta cheeses, and blend well.
- Brush 13 inch x 9 inch baking pan with melted butter.
- Line pan with 1 sheet of pastry, fitting pastry to contour of pan. Pastry will come up over edges of pan.
- Brush pastry with butter.
- Layer with 3 more pastry sheets, brushing each with butter.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over top.
- Spoon one fifth of meat filling in layer over crumbs and one fifth of the cheese filling over meat.
- Place one pastry sheet over cheese filling, crinkling to fit inside dimensions of pan.
- Brush with butter.
- Layer with one fifth of the meat and one fifth of the cheese filling.
- Repeat with 3 more pastry sheets, crinkling each, brushing with butter and topping with fillings.
- Turn bottom pastry ends up over filling.
- Place remaining 8 pastry sheets smoothly over top, brushing each with butter.
- Using spatula, tuck top pastry sheets around inside edges of pan.
- With sharp knife, score top lightly in half lengthwise, and sixths crosswise. (Do not cut through.)
- Bake in 350 degrees (175 C.) oven 1 hour, or until top is golden brown.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before cutting along scored lines.
- Place a cherry tomato on each of 12 small wooden picks and insert pick in center of each serving.
- Garnish with parsley.
- * Unsalted margarine, melted, can also be used.
** Phyllo leaves are Greek pastry and they should be defrosted.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.