Print Friendly Recipe
- Jean Hores Beef Pita, Greek Style
- MasterCook through Searchable Online Archive of Recipes Site
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml). salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). cinnamon
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) burgundy or rose wine
- 1 egg
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (225 ml) creamed cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, melted *
- 8 oz (224 grm). phyllo leaves **
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry bread crumbs
- parsley sprigs
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Combine ground beef, onion and garlic in a large frying pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until beef loses the pink color.
- Pour off drippings.
- Add mushrooms, bay leaf, salt, chili powder, cumin powder and cinnamon.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and wine.
- Cook, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Cool while preparing cheese filling.
- Combine egg and cream cheese in medium bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir in cottage and feta cheeses, and blend well.
- Brush 13 inch x 9 inch baking pan with melted butter.
- Line pan with 1 sheet of pastry, fitting pastry to contour of pan. Pastry will come up over edges of pan.
- Brush pastry with butter.
- Layer with 3 more pastry sheets, brushing each with butter.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over top.
- Spoon one fifth of meat filling in layer over crumbs and one fifth of the cheese filling over meat.
- Place one pastry sheet over cheese filling, crinkling to fit inside dimensions of pan.
- Brush with butter.
- Layer with one fifth of the meat and one fifth of the cheese filling.
- Repeat with 3 more pastry sheets, crinkling each, brushing with butter and topping with fillings.
- Turn bottom pastry ends up over filling.
- Place remaining 8 pastry sheets smoothly over top, brushing each with butter.
- Using spatula, tuck top pastry sheets around inside edges of pan.
- With sharp knife, score top lightly in half lengthwise, and sixths crosswise. (Do not cut through.)
- Bake in 350 degrees (175 C.) oven 1 hour, or until top is golden brown.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before cutting along scored lines.
- Place a cherry tomato on each of 12 small wooden picks and insert pick in center of each serving.
- Garnish with parsley.
- * Unsalted margarine, melted, can also be used.
** Phyllo leaves are Greek pastry and they should be defrosted.
|Email This To A Friend