Print Friendly Recipe
- Quaker's Best Barley Recipes via SOAR Internet site
- 1 lb (.5 kg). lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) water
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can tomato paste
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) medium Quaker barley (1 cup (225 ml) if using quick barley)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt (optional)
- In a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, brown ground beef.
- Add green pepper, onion and garlic.
- Cook until onion is tender. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer 45 to 50 minutes (15 to 20 minutes for quick barley), or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Nutrition information per 1 cup serving: Calories, 340; Protein, 23 g; Carbohydrate, 37 g; Fat, 12 g; Cholesterol, 55 mg; Dietary fiber, 6 g; Sodium, 475 mg; Percent calories from fat, 31%.
Exchanges: Starch/Bread 1, Meat 2, Vegetable 3-1/2
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.