Print Friendly Recipe
- A type of closed pizza speciality of Naples
Serves/Makes:6 individual calzone
- Pizza Dough:
- 500g (1 lb) flour
- pinch salt
- 15g (1/2oz) dried yeast
- 250ml (8oz) warm water
- pinch sugar
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
- your favourite pizza toppings...
- mozzarella cheese
- pecorino cheese
- ricotta cheese
- parmesan cheese
- chopped cooked spinach
- ....any combination you like according to taste and imagination!
- Combine dry ingredients for dough.
- Add 3 tbsp (45 ml). oil and enough water to make a firm dough.
- Knead well until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Roll dough ball in a little of the remaining oil.
- Leave in covered bowl in warm place to rise until it has doubled in bulk.
- Punch down, knead lightly again.
- Roll in a little more oil and leave to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 475 degrees (250 C.).
- Divide dough into 6 balls and roll out thinly to make six 23cm (9 inch )rounds.
- Spread chosen filling on half of each round leaving a margin on the edge.
- Brush margin with water.
- Fold over the other half of the dough to make a half moon shape and pinch edges together.
- Brush the top of each calzone with a little of the chopped tomato.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Don't stint on the fillings. Calzone should be stuffed full
of delicious things and be quite fat in the middle.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.