Print Friendly Recipe
- A nice old-fashion soup.
- Patty Johnson
Serves/Makes:Makes 5 Cups
- 1 1/2-inch Cube Salt Pork, diced small
- 2 medium Parsnips, scraped and diced
- 2 medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Cups (475 ml) milk
- 1 Tbs (15 ml). butter
- 1 Tbs (15 ml). flour
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- Cook salt pork slowly in pot until fat melts and pieces are browned and crisp.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbs (15 ml). of fat.
- Add parsnips and potatoes.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Add 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water.
- Cover and cook about 15 minutes, until vegetables were tender.
- Stir in the milk and keep over low heat.
- Melt butter in a small pan and stir in flour.
- Cook slowly, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add a little of the hot stew liquid and blend.
- Pour into stew and cook for about 10 minutes until thick and hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This is another one of those old recipes found in THE FANNIE FARMER COOKBOOK.
They mention that parsnips are from the carrot family and have a faint
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.