Print Friendly Recipe
- This easy carrot cake won first prize at Ohio State Fair!
- Sarah J. Petri
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) salad oil
- 2 cups (475 ml) self-rising flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml). ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla extract
- 3 cups (700 ml) grated carrots
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). white Karo syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Mix sugar and oil with mixer; add eggs one at a time mixing each well.
- Slowly add flour, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Add grated carrots and mix well.
- Add nuts and mix into batter.
- Place in an UNGREASED bundt pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Check bundt cake after 65 minutes to see if cake is done when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- While cake is hot, make sauce as follows:
- Cook sugar, vanilla, Karo syrup, buttermilk, and baking soda over medium heat in a heavy pan until it boils and foams.
- Remove from heat while foaming.
- Remove cake from pan and place cake on a large sheet of aluminum foil. (Cake will still be very warm.)
- Spoon hot sauce over the cake. Bring up the sides of the aluminum foil so that sauce soaks in the into sides of the cake.
- Cut and serve after cake has cooled.
- NOTE: After the first day, this cake needs to be refrigerated.
- Recipe takes approximately 20 minutes to make.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.