Print Friendly Recipe
- Sous Chef Carla
- 1 tsp (5 ml). olive oil
- 3 tbs (45 ml). chopped garlic
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 2 stalks celery, small dice (optional)
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground beef
- 3 medium dill pickles, small dice
- 2 tsp (10 ml). chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml). oregano
- 2-1/2 tsp (12.5 ml). dried thyme or 2 tsp (10 ml). fresh
- 2 tsp (10 ml). red wine or other vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml). pickle juice
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) ketchup
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hamburger buns
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet, such as black iron skillet.
- Add garlic and saute briefly.
- Add onions and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown.
- Pour off excess grease.
- Add pickles, chili powder, oregano, thyme, vinegar and pickle juice and stir.
- Adjust seasonings to taste (I like a lot of thyme).
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, ketchup and salt and pepper.
- Simmer about 20 minutes until excess liquid has evaporated.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
- My chef boyfriend (who happens to be named Joe) turned his nose up at Sloppy Joes until he tried mine; now he won't stop asking me to make them! I am not positive about amounts/measurements so you might want to adjust according to your taste.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.