Print Friendly Recipe
- Roast Beef Stuffed with Prawns
- adapted from an old recipe
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg). whole rump roast, with a pocket cut in it
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). green prawns, shelled
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion
- 6 whole cooked prawns, for garnish
- 1 cup (225 ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (225 ml) red wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). corn flour or cornstarch
- Place shelled green prawns in a bowl and pour lemon juice over.
- Leave in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (225 C.).
- Trim rump of excess fat and tightly pack the prawns in the pocket (see background).
- Secure with toothpicks.
- Place on a rack in a roasting dish.
- Spread butter over the rump, cover with chopped onion, salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Place stock, wine and salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Mix cornflour into a paste with a little water.
- Slowly add the cornflour paste into the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- To serve:
- Slice roast and garnish each serving with a cooked prawn, pour gravy over and serve with vegetables.
- If you prefer, use oysters or mushrooms instead of prawns.
To make a pocket in rump, use a sharp knife and make a slit lengthwise in
the rump. The interior of the pocket should be larger than the opening
through which you will stuff the prawns - maybe, ask you butcher to make
the pocket for you.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.