Print Friendly Recipe
- Kate Ransdell
Serves/Makes:Makes 5 or 6 Flat Breads
- 2 cups (475 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) cold water (approximately)
- corn oil or melted butter, as needed
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Continue to mix ingredients as you add water, adding only enough to make a stiff dough.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Form dough into 5 or 6 balls and flatten each one with a rolling pin or a tortilla press.
- Spread corn oil or melted butter on top of the round and then fold the circle back up into a ball by bringing the sides into the center.
- Place these balls back into the oiled bowl and let rest for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Roll each ball back into a very thin round and brush both sides with corn oil or melted butter.
- Cook on a hot griddle for about 6 to 7 minutes, turning roti frequently.
- Upon removing the roti from the griddle, clap it between your hands two or three times or hit it with a wooden mallet several times to make it flaky.
- Wrap roti in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm until serving.
This recipe comes from the "Nitty Gritty Cookbooks - Flatbreads from Around
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.