Print Friendly Recipe
- Holiday Dessert
- Denise R.
- 3 cups (700 ml) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tspbaking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) cool, unsalted butter
- 1 egg,well-beaten withdash of salt
- 4 unpeeled hard-cooked eggs (can be colored)
- Colored sugar sprinkles or chopped almonds
- Powdered sugar
- Set oven rack in middle level and cover cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- To prepare dough, combine flour, granulated sugar,salt,and baking powder in bowl and mix.
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla and orange and lemon zest in seperate bowl.
- Cut butter into 1/2-inch pieces and add to dry ingredients. Using fingertips or pastry blender, rub in butter until mixture is fine and sandy (cool and powdery, not sticky). Stir in egg mixture with fork until mixture holds together. Remove dough to lightly floured work surface. Knead lightly until smooth, about 15 seconds.
- To form wreath, roll 3/4 of dough into 24-inch cylinder.
- Arrange on prepared pan, making circle about 8-inches in diameter.
- Press ends together to adhere.
- Brush surface with egg wash.
- Position hardcooked eggs on top, equidistant from each other.
- Roll remaining dough into thin cylinder.
- Cut into eight pieces and roll each piece 31/2-inches long.
- Criss-cross 2 pieces over each egg, forming an X.
- Adhere ends of dough to wreath on either side of eggs.
- Carefully brush criss-cross with egg wash.
- Sprinkle entire wreath with colored sugar sprinkles or almonds.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) until well-colored and firm, about 30 minutes.
- Cool wreath on pan.
- Before serving, sprinkle with lightly with powered sugar.
- (Eggs will be somewhat overcooked; they are really decoration and not meant
to be eaten)
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.