Print Friendly Recipe
- Main Dish
- From Aunt Eleanor
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) beef for stew, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shortening
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) ketchup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml). salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml). paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). dry mustard
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cold water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). flour
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). package wide width egg noodles or bow-tie pasta, cooked
- Cook and stir beef, onion and garlic in shortening in frying pan on medium heat until beef is brown; drain.
- Stir in 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, paprika, mustard and cayenne pepper.
- Heat to boiling; then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 2 hours.
- Shake 1/4 cup (60 ml) water and flour in tightly covered container; stir gradually into beef mixture.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly for 1 minute or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.