Print Friendly Recipe
- Cajun shrimp cooked with onion, pepper, celery, and always served over white rice
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) peeled celery, chopped
- 1-1/2 stick butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) thyme
- a few diced green chiles (optional)
- cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup (225 ml) scallions or green onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) parsley, chopped
- cooked white rice
- In a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven, melt the butter.
- Add the onions, peppers and scallions and cook, partially covered for about ten minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir often.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook two more minutes.
- Add flour and stir into vegetable mixture.
- Add tomato paste and stir.
- Add the shrimp, salt, pepper, cayenne or hot sauce and chiles, if using.
- Stir well and cook about 3 1/2 minutes till shrimp turn pink.
- Turn heat very low, add scallions and parsley and cook about six more minutes.
- Serve over white rice.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.