Print Friendly Recipe
- Saint Joseph's Fritters filled with sweet ricotta
- La Cucina Siciliana Giangivecchio
- 1 Cup (225 ml) water
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 Cup (60 ml) Lard or sweet butter
- 2 Cups (475 ml) all purpose flour
- 6 Large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 Tbs (15 ml). Rum
- Sunflower or Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 Cups (475 ml) Creme de Ricotta (see below)
- Granulated sugar
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Honey (optional)
- Creme De Ricotta:
- 4 Cups (950 ml) of whole milk Ricotta (drained in collander lined with cheese cloth for 2 days)
- 1 Cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- Prepare Creme de Ricotta by adding the sugar to the well drained Ricotta.
- Whisk to incorporate.
- Stand for 8 hours.
- Press Ricotta through a fine sieve with a rubber spatula or glass jar. DO NOT PROCESS IN BLENDER OR PROCESSOR OR YOU WILL HAVE GLUE.
- Incorporate the vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare the fritter by bringing to a boil the water salt and lard.
- Add the flour all at once and stir vigorously.
- Remove from heat.
- Form into a ball by stirring and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time (difficult) until incorporated.
- Add the rum and mix (should be smooth and sticky).
- Stir in the baking powder.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in frying pan to hot but not smoking.
- Push rounded tbspfulls into the oil.
- Cook 6 at a time because they triple in size.
- Cook and turn 4 minutes till they burst slightly.
- Cook and turn a few seconds more to cook the exposed interior.
- When golden brown put on paper towels to drain.
- Repeat frying procedure for the rest of the batch.
- When slightly cool make slit in the side of each.
- Spoon a little Creme de Ricotta in each.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar or cinnamon sugar.
- Can also be dipped in honey before eating.
- Served traditionally on March 19 Saint Joseph's Day.
Attention to the Creme de Ricotta recipe is important to have the correct
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.