Print Friendly Recipe
- Meta Givens Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking 1959
Serves/Makes:1 9-inch pie
- 1 9 inch pastry shell
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) whipping cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pineapple juice
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) moist raisins, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) blanched, toasted almonds, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 tsp (5 ml) rum flavoring
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) powdered sugar, packed
- sweet chocolate bar, chilled and shaved
- Bake pastry shell and cool.
- Blend first three ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Gradually add milk, stirring well to keep smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the cream and the pineapple juice.
- Cook and stir over boiling water until smooth and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Now stir some of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks.
- Then return to double boiler and stir thoroughly.
- Add raisins, almonds and butter, cover and cook 5 minutes more with frequent stirring.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cherries and flavorings.
- Pour into cooled pie shell, spreading level.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Whip remaing 3/4 cup (175 ml) chilled cream until just thickened,
- then beat in xxx sugar until stiff.
- Spread over pie, scatter chocolate shavings over cream.
- Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour before serving.
- Book says " Rich and a little costly, but befitting your most outstanding
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.