Print Friendly Recipe
- 1 cup (225 ml) dry red wine
- 1 cup (225 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) water
- 2 onions, sliced
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 10 juniper berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 3 oz (84 grm). vegetable oil
- 1/3 lb (.2 kg). onion, diced
- 1/3 lb (.2 kg). carrot, diced
- 1/3 lb (.2 kg). celery, diced
- 4 oz (112 grm). tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour
- 3 quarts (2850 ml) brown veal stock
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) gingersnaps, pulverized
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg). beef bottom round
- Trim fat and silverskin from beef.
- Combine marinade ingredients and boil; cool.
- Season beef with salt and place in marinade; marinate under refridgeration for 3 to 5 days turning is not necessary if covered by marinade.
- Remove meat; strain and reserve marinade; reserve onion and herbs separately.
- Bring marinade to boil and skim off scum.
- Heat the oil in brazier; add beef and sear on all sides; remove meat and reserve.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and onion and herbs from marinade to brazier; brown lightly.
- Add tomato paste and cook out for several seconds.
- Deglaze pan with the strained marinade and reduce liquid by half.
- Add flour and combine mixture thoroughly.
- Add brown stock, whip out any lumps, and bring to simmer.
- Return meat to the pan, cover, and braise till fork-tender.
- Remove the meat and reduce remaining sauce by half, skimming off grease.
- Add gingersnaps and cook sauce for 10 min until gingersnaps dissolve.
- Strain sauce and serve over meat.
- The gingersnaps are the kicker..they give the dish its character.
Beef boullion may be substituted for the stock, but flavor will not be as good. Check saltiness before adding to marinade; may need to dilute.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.