Print Friendly Recipe
- Catfish Gumbo
- William Bohannon
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). catfish fillet, cut into nuggets
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). sliced smoked sausage cajun spiced
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). peeled raw shrimp
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) imitation crabmeat lump style
- 3 bell peppers chopped (red,yellow,green)
- 1 medium tomato, cut in wedges
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole frozen baby okra
- 32 oz (896 grm). beer
- 2 beef boullion cubes
- 2 chicken boullion cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). Old Bay seasoning more to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). ground cumin
- 3 smashed garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) mahogany roux (flour browned in butter or oil)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). ground cayenne red pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) uncooked rice
- 4 Tbsp (60 ml). file powder (ground sasafrass leaves)
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). Sambal Olek (serrano chili paste), optional
- In large soup pot add beer, spices (except file powder), garlic, boullion cubes, bell peppers, and tomato.
- Simmer covered 20 minutes till skins come off peppers and tomato.
- Add water as necessary from here on out.
- Add roux and thicken slightly.
- Add sausage and rice.
- Add catfish nuggets and okra.
- Add shrimp and crab meat.
- Stir gently and simmer with lid on till rice is done.
- When rice is done stir in butter, sugar, sambal, and file.
- Serve with wine and french bread.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.