Print Friendly Recipe
- 3 Milk Cake ala Monteverde Lodge
- William Bohannon
Serves/Makes:1 9"x13" Cake
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (225 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cream of tartar
- Butter for greasing baking dish
- For the milk syrup:
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) (12-ounce can) evaporated milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) rum
- For the meringue:
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cream of tartar
- 3 egg whites
- Prepare the cake.
- Beat 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar and the egg yolks until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla extract, flour and baking powder.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peaks, adding the cream of tartar after 20 seconds.
- Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar and continue beating until the whites are glossy and firm.
- Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture.
- Spoon this batter into a 9-by-13-inch greased baking dish.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.) F. or until it feels firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely and unmold onto a large, deep platter.
- Let cool for 2 hours.
- Pierce the cake all over with a fork.
- Prepare the milk syrup.
- Combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream and flavorings and whisk until mixed.
- Pour the syrup over the cake, spooning the overflow back on top until all is absorbed.
- Prepare the meringue.
- Place all but 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar in a heavy saucepan with 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cream of tartar and 1/2 cup (125 ml) water.
- Cook over high heat, covered, for 2 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and cook the sugar to the soft ball stage, 239 degrees (125 C.) on a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites to soft peaks with the remaining 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cream of tartar.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar and continue beating to stiff peaks.
- Pour the boiling sugar syrup in a thin stream into the whites and continue beating until the mixture is cool.
- Thickly spread the top and sides of the cake with meringue, using a wet spatula.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours before serving.
- This recipe was sent to me from Costa Rica. It is a popular cake in that country. The Monte Verde Lodge recipe that someone requested is a secret.
Basically it will be like this recipe but better because they are a Quaker community and they have their own dairy. Their milk is unpasteurized and fresh every day. That is why their recipe is so delicious.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.