Print Friendly Recipe
- packed with rum and fruit
- Angela Creighton
- 1 cup (225 ml) raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) currants, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) prunes, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) dark rum
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- 6 beaten eggs
- 1/2 pound flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) allspice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) mixed fruit peel
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped nuts
- Soak raisins, currants and prunes in 3/4 cup (175 ml) of rum, in covered container, for at least three weeks, stirring every few days.
- To make cake, heat 1 pound brown sugar in heavy bottomed frying pan until melted. Simmer until it is a very dark brown.
- Let cool.
- Cream butter and remaining brown sugar.
- Gradually add eggs.
- Add soaked fruit with their liquid, and caramelized sugar.
- Add dry ingredients, fruit peel and nuts.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 or 10 inch springform pan, with the bottom lined with waxed paper.
- Bake at 300 degrees (150 C.) F. for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Sprinkle some of the remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) rum over cake immediately after removing it from the oven.
- Repeat a few times.
- Allow cake to remain in pan for 2-3 days.
- Remove cake from pan and place on cake plate to serve.
- If desired, drizzle with a confectioners sugar icing.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.