Print Friendly Recipe
- J. Brandt
Serves/Makes:One 10 x4 tube pan cake
- 2 cups (475 ml) all purpose flour or 5-1/4 cups (1250 ml) cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 7 egg yolks (with all-purpose flour) or 5 egg yolks(with cake flour)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) cold water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grated orange peel
- 1 cup (225 ml) egg whites (about 8)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cream of tartar
- Orange or Lemon Butter Frosting.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.) F.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Beat in oil, egg yolks, water and orange peel with spoon until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large mixer bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Pour egg yolk mixture gradually over beaten egg whites, folding with rubber spatula just until blended.
- Pour into ungreased tube pan, 10 x4 inches.
- Bake until top springs back when touched lightly, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Invert pan on funnel; let hang until cake is cold.
- Remove from pan.
- Frost with Orange or Lemon Butter Frosting.
- Orange or Lemon Butter Frosting:
- Mix 3 cups (700 ml) powdered sugar, 1/3 cup (80 ml) margarine or butter, softened, 1 tablesppoon plus 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) grated orange peel or lemon peel and about 3 tbsp (45 ml) orange juice or lemon juice.
- Taken from Betty Crocker Cookbook 1980 version.
*If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.