Print Friendly Recipe
- From Mama's collection written by Sandra Dillehay
Serves/Makes:should serve 12
- 1 cup (225 ml) egg whites [from 7 large eggs], at room temperature
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) freshly grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
- yolks from 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) orange extract
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) cake flour [not self rising] or 2 cups (475 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- Frosting[ see note]
- 3-3/4 cups (875 ml) confectioners' sugar
- 1 stick [1/2 cup] butter or margarine [not spread], at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) orange extract
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops red food coloring
- Heat oven to 325 F. and have a 9 to 10 inch tube pan ready.
- If pan has a removable bottom, do nothing. If not, lightly grease and line bottom
- with waxed paper.
- Lightly grease paper [don't grease sides of pan.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy.
- Increase mixer speed to high, gradually adding the 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar.
- Beat until whites greatly increase in volume, are thick and glossy, and stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- In another large bowl, with electric mixer on medium [ no need to wash beaters], beat remaining 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) sugar, the orange peel, and juice, oil, egg yolks
- and orange extract until well blended.
- With mixer on low, gradually beat in flour, then baking powder and salt until batter is smooth.
- Stir about 1/3 the whites into batter.
- Pour batter over remaining whites and gently stir [fold] with a rubber spatula until no white streaks remain.
- Scrape into tube pan and smooth top.
- Bake 1 hour or until a pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Invert tube pan on a wire rack or hang on the neck of a glass bottle.
- Let cool completely.
- Run a knife around edges and sides of tube pan and tremove pan.
- Loosen and rtemove bottom, or peel off paper. [Cake can be covered and refrigerated
- up to 3 days or wrapped airtight and frozen up to 1 month.]
- Place cake right side up on a serving plate.
Beat confectioners sugar, butter, water and extract in a medium sized bowl with
electric mixer on medium speed 1 minute until fluffy. Beat in food color, one drop
at a time. Spread evenly over cake including inside of tube hole.
To save time, you can use two cans [ 16 ounces each] ready to spread vanilla frosting.
Scrape frosting into a medium sized bowl. Stir in 1 1/4 teaspoons orange
extract. Add food coloring according to directions above until smooth and
evenly tinted a pale orange. Frost cake as directed.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.