Print Friendly Recipe
- Joy of Cooking
Serves/Makes:8 to 10
- 2 cups (475 ml) sifted cake flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) almond extract
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon zest (yellow part only, not the white rind)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated orange zest (orange part only, not the white rind)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground mace (optional)
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- Have all ingredients at room temperature, 68 degrees (20 C.) to 70 degrees (20 C.).
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease and flour one 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Resift twice the 2 cups (475 ml) sifted cake flour.
- Whisk together in a medium bowl the eggs, vanilla, almond extract, lemon zest, orange zest, and ground mace.
- In a large bowl beat butter until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar and salt.
- Scrape this sides of the bowl and beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture, about 4 minutes.
- Gradually dribble in the egg mixture, about 1 tbsp (15 ml) at a time, and beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the flour in 3 parts, beating on low speed or stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- slide a thin knife around the cake to detach it from the pan.
- Invert the cake and let cool right side up on the rack.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.