Print Friendly Recipe
- Vicky Bryant
- Chicken salad ingredients:
- 1 cup (225 ml) cooked poultry per person
- celery stalk
- small onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mayonnaise per cup meat
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) coleslaw dressing per cup meat
- 1 tsp (5 ml). curry powder per cup of meat (optional - I have never used)
- 3 mandarin orange sections (canned) chopped per cup meat
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white raisins per cup meat
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Major Gray Mango Chutney per cup meat
- 2 - 3 strips bacon per cup meat (optional - I have never used)
- toasted almond slivers or slices
- Pate a choux ingredients:
- (makes about 25 cocktail size puffs)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) sweet, unsalted, butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sifted, unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- Chicken salad:
- Combine celery, onion and water in a sauce pan.
- Poach chicken.
- Remove meat from bones.
- Combine mayo, coleslaw dressing, and curry powder (if using).
- Mix with meat.
- Add orange sections, raisins, chutney, toasted almonds and bacon (if using).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Combine water, butter and salt in small saucepan and bring to boil.
- Remove pan from heat, pour in flour all at once.
- Stir well to combine and return to medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sticky and pulls away from sides in a ball.
- Remove pan from heat and cool for about 1 minute.
- Stir in two eggs, ***one at a time***, making sure first one is completely incorporated before adding second.
- Beat vigorously at end.
- Lightly grease baking sheet.
- Drop batter on sheet by spoonfuls (or use bag if using for eclairs).
- Beat remaining egg in bowl and brush tops only with this egg.
- Set baking sheet in middle rack and ***reduce heat to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until they have puffed and are firm and golden brown.
- Remove puffs from oven.
- Using a small knife, cut a slit in the side of each puff to allow steam to escape - will be soggy if this is not done.
- Cool puffs completely before filling.
- All of this can be done the day ahead. Add almonds day of. Store puffs in air-tight container if making ahead. Be sure completely cool!! If really pressed for time I have bought ready-made chicken salad that they actually prepare at the grocery store. Add oranges, chutney and almonds. Make sure this chicken salad tastes like homemade and is made with nice, big, chicken chunks and not "pulled" chicken.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.