Print Friendly Recipe
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (225 ml) flaked coconut
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 9" baked pie shell
- Meringue or whipped cream.
- For Meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cream of tarter
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) granulated white sugar
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt in saucepan.
- Gradually add milk; blend well.
- Stirring constantly over medium heat, bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; then add warmed yolks to hot mixture in saucepan.
- Cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add coconut, butter and vanilla; blend well.
- Cover and cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Top with meringue or whipped cream.
- To make meringue, beat leftover egg whites with 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cream of tartar until frothy.
- Gradually add up to 6 tbsp (90 ml) granulated white sugar beating continuously, until stiff peaks form.
- Do not underbeat.
- Spread meringue over hot filling, seal to edge of crust.
- Meringue may then be placed under broiler heat to brown top.
- Watch very closely during this process.
- It will only take a few minutes.
- Cool meringue slowly, away from drafts to prevent shrinking and weeping.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.