Print Friendly Recipe
- 10 large pickling cucumbers, 2" diameter
- boiling water
- 7 cups (1650 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) pickling salt
- 3 cups (700 ml) distilled white vinegar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red hots cinnamon candy
- Wash cucumbers and scrub gently to remove spines.
- Wash a 3 gallons (11.4 ltr) crock/plastic/glass container in hot soapy water and rinse.
- Fill container with boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Empty hot water and pack cucumbers in container.
- Pour boiling water over cucumbers to cover.
- Cover container and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- Drain water from container.
- Repeat the above 3 steps three more times (3 more nights).
- On the 4th day, peel cucumbers, cut in 1/2 inch slices and remove center of slices (seed area) with corer or knife.
- Return slices to container.
- In saucepan, combine 3 cups (700 ml) sugar, pickling salt, vinegar, cinnamon sticks and candy.
- Boil over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Pour over rings, cover and let stand overnight.
- Drain syrup into a sauce pan, add 1 cup (225 ml) of remaining sugar.
- Bring to a boil and pour over rings.
- Repeat the last 3 steps for 3 more nights.
- On the last day, wash and sterilize 3 pint jars, lids and canning rings.
- Leave in hot water bath until needed.
- Drain syrup into saucepan, remove cinnamon sticks and bring to a boil.
- Fill hot jars with cucumber rings and cover with boiling syrup (leave 1/4 inch space).
- Wipe rim of jar with clean damp cloth--they must be clean or lid will not seal.
- Put on lid and ring and place in boiling water bath in canner.
- Leave in bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove from canner with canning tongs and listen for each jar lid to pop.
- After a few minutes seal can be tested by pressing on center of lid.
- If lid is well sealed, tighten the ring and let cool.
- If lid gives way with a snapping sound,remove lid and metal ring, wash and sterilize again.
- Reclean rim of jar and check lid to make sure it is not flawed or jar will not seal (I boil a couple of extra lids just in case).
- Repeat 10 minute boiling water bath process.
- Once sealed, cool at room temperature and store in pantry until needed.
- If jar does not seal, store in refrigerator and use right away.
- Chill to serve.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.